Monday, August 8, 2011

Food...

So many of you ask what we are eating and since the teens haven't commented - I will :-)
Our menu is the same almost everyday.
For breakfast we have cereal - this is not custom in Haiti. Most of the time the have a very thin oatmeal.
For lunch we have PB&J. This is obviously sold in the market for us tourists. Their lunch would be Rice and Beans.
We make our own breakfast and lunch so they don't have to pay the workers (I'm not fond of this as I think it boosts their economy to pay them).
For dinner they make chicken - I never figured out what spices they put on it, but I only ate it once (last year). I stopped eating it when I saw the chickens in the marketplace. This is just a personal issue!
We always have some kind of rice (usually rice and beans) but tonight they had white rice. They serve fried plantains.
Tonight they had a strange meat substance that they claim was beef, but it didn't look like beef and I wasn't about to taste it!
Today we tried a fruit called, kernip
It's like a grape with a hard shell.
So nothing too strange, but nothing quite American either!
-Marilee




1 comment:

  1. Marilee!!! Don't be afraid of the mystery meat! As long as it's cooked it's just part of the adventure!

    ReplyDelete