Friday, August 12, 2011

...and the adventure ends

As I scrub the last little bit of dirt and sweat off from Haiti, I have a lot going through my mind.
I am happy to be home with my family, but my heart aches to be in Haiti - to be with the children, loving them and embracing them.
It is a bittersweet day.
I have learned so much about the group that went with me.
I saw Daniel as a strong, yet gentle leader. He is great with the kids - sharing his thirst for knowledge. He wanted to engulf himself in his environment and with the children of Haiti.
Chris is a quiet compassionate soul. His eyes show his feelings. He loved being with the children and has a desire to make a change. The boys loved being with him.
Sara is incredibly empathetic. She took the time to get to know names of many of the children and they connect with her. She was visibly affected by the conditions in Haiti.
I am so proud of our group. They have forever touched the lives of so many. They stepped out of their comfort zone and did what they knew and felt needed to be done.
I will forever remember this trip. I hope to continue to hear (in my head) the echoes of two young boys "try" to say my name. I will never forget the children calling for us to come play bubbles with them or the children yelling "Blanc! Blanc! Blanc!" as we drove by in the truck.
I will forever be changed by the people and prayers within one of the many tent cities.
The adventure has come to an end. I pray at some point to go back.
-Marilee



No comments:

Post a Comment